Tuesday 8 July 2014

(Bruce Dickinson) In Search of The Now Man… Part One...


In Search of The Now Man… Part One

Hello. My name is Noggin. I’m typing this in the spring of 2012. In the summer of 2002 Bruce Dickinson played his last solo gigs (five festivals in Europe). In the spring of 2002, for reasons lost to the myths of time, Laz contacted me and asked if I would write a Tour Diary for the IMFC (Iron Maiden Fan Club) Magazine. Why me? I wondered, but I immediately said yes. It wasn’t until later that I remembered I am totally dyslexic and can’t write to save my life.

The weeks passed by, the gigs arrived, came and went and I spent hours and hours in a hotel in Ellesmere Port writing up my notes by hand.

Some months later I got a text off Mick who mentioned some tour diary thing that was in IMFC Magazine No.66. Not having a clue what he was banging on about, he faxed it over to me. WOW! It was my Tour Diary. It was the first time I’d seen it. It was heavily edited. Arguably, badly edited. However, the edits where necessary. To this day I stand by them. Laz had taken my ramblings and turned them into something worth reading.

IMFC Mag No.66 - it still makes me smile when I see it

Then two things happened. Firstly, people who knew me said positive things about the tour diary, while secondly, I found out people who didn’t know me were saying positive things about the tour diary and it was a wonderful ego trip.

As the years have passed by, people have mentioned re-writing it, web sites, all kinds of ideas and thoughts. I never did find anyone willing to help me start up a little basic web site. So until that day arrives, I’ve decided to re-write it and simply forward it as an E-Mail (and now I’m blogging it – Why didn’t I do this years ago…? D’OH!).

I hope I haven’t rambled on too much. Also, I hope my words don’t read like, look at “ME”, I hope they read like, look what I’ve “SEEN”, look where I’ve “BEEN”, look at what I’ve “DONE”, look at the “FUN”.

It would be very easy for me to write this with hindsight. I have decided not to. I have decided to leave the mistakes in.

So, without further to do, here it is, an un-edited version. For good or for bad. I hope it makes you smile.

Graspop, Belgium

Ticket and wrist band

Thursday July 4th

05.05 Woken by the sound of tyres screeching to a halt and some sort of scuffle, resulting in someone repeatedly bouncing off the front door to my house. By the time I was dialling 999 I was standing stark naked looking out of bedroom window at the police placing someone into the back of their squad car. Um! I stumbled back into bed thinking this was going to be a strange and very long day.

22.00 Walsall. M6 Junction 9. The coach arrived early which was good, because it was just starting to rain. I sat at the front and gave the driver directions up to Junction 7. Once we were back on the M6 I slept for England.

23.58 Honest. I woke up just as the coach left the M1 and joined the A41 and off into London.

Nothing ever prepares me for the impact of London. London is the greatest city on the planet. The only two negatives about London are the people who live there and the tourists that clutter it up... It’s true and you know it.

Friday  July 5th

00.30 Victoria Coach Station. The 4th bleeds into the 5th and there have been no major terrorist attacks (that we know of anyway).

I can’t help but be overtaken by the sense of adventure as more fans of more bands join the party. We depart Victoria 30 minutes ahead of schedule and make our way to Dover.

London purrs like a kitten, like she always does and as we wait for her to spring into life we quietly leave her behind. Parliament Square. Westminster Abbey. Big Ben. Westminster Bridge. The Thames. The Eye. I smile to myself and I remember.

01.00 Greenwich. The Meridian. We really are now heading east. I try to get some sleep, but I can hear the vodka on the ferry calling to me and it’s hard to think of anything else. Thoughts of my daughter (Anna) break my concentration and I wonder if she will be doing the same as this one day. I wonder what the band will be.

02.15 Dover. HGV after HGV pour into England while caravan after caravan plod off into Europe. Perhaps it’s because of the generation I belong to, or the things I’ve watched on TV or the subjects I studied at school, but I can’t help but think of The Battle of Britain, Dunkirk/Dunkerque, D-Day and how over the years leaders of far off lands have looked at this part of my country and salivated at the thought of invasion. I guess in a strange way it’s now our turn to invade. We stand. We sit. We wait. Neatly in rows. In columns. Vehicles simply waiting to invade Europe. Perhaps that’s too strong a way to describe it, I’m not sure. But we quietly wait. Growing greater in number. Waiting… Waiting… For the whistles to blow…

03.45 Finally, we set sail for France. Once on the ferry we all head straight to the bar. I start writing a “wish you were here” card to my mate Danny who has just been sent to prison. But on a positive note, I got his job so I got a promotion… WHAT!?

05.00 Calais. 06.00 Uh? We’ve lost an hour. Thanks to BST and GMT and European Time we have lost an hour. That’s one hour of missing drinking time. GUTTED! Typical of the French to perform such an under handed trick.

06.15 We do what everyone else does when they enter France and fill up with cheap fuel.

We head off towards Dunkerque and you all know what happened there. I sit and watch the landscape go by and I can’t help but remember what happened there and think of all of those people that died trying to defend and then re-take that piece of land. It’s 60+ years since WWII but it seems so fresh to me as I travel along those roads. Sometimes I feel so proud to be British.

09.15 Awoke only to see a sign reading “Graspop 4” as we made our way through what I can only describe as a “LEGO” village.

A short time later we drop off the campers and because of the heat there was a little bit of envy, but not enough to drag me away from a five star hotel and a hot power shower. The thing I noticed was, Hey! Time Warp! It was like 1982 all over again. Skin tight jeans, denim cut offs, leather jackets etc… It’s as if the “Grunge Fashion” thing had never happened and as for all that “Sub-pop” stuff, not one Nirvana shirt to be seen. FANTASTIC! Perhaps all these people were too busy having a good time to be miserable. I felt an instant attraction to these people.

As we made our way through villages and towns towards Eindhoven and our hotel I noticed that the bigger the town the more people seem to ride bicycles and that’s how it should be. Maybe they know something that we Brits haven’t learnt yet.

09.50 Enter Holland, except the sign reads “Netherlands” and I’ve never really under stood that.

10.25 Arrive at our hotel, Hotel Dorint (junction of Vestdik and Ten Hagestraat) only to be told that our rooms weren’t ready and wouldn’t be ready until at least noon.
(Until I get these images scanned in properly then these will just have to do)

With nothing else better to do we headed for the bar. There was beer to drink and new friends to make. Barbie’s lady introduced me to the joys of olives, it was the first and it will defiantly be the last time… bloody horrible things there are too. I only met her 12 hours ago and this is it was what does to me… Nice Heineken glasses…

A few beers later and clutching my room key I head towards my lovely power shower. I had already decided that I wasn’t going to the festival today because there was no one that wanted to see and to be honest I’d rather go shopping and explore Eindhoven.

Find the hotel radio and tune into The BBC World Service. “This is London calling…” Oh Joy, my little piece of England, “And finally. Readers of “Welsh Waters Wonderful, Isn’t it?” have voted the water of Birmingham the best in Britain...”

After a quick shower it was off to explore Eindhoven. 30 minutes later… Chuff Me! Or words to that effect. To say there is nothing to do or of interest in Eindhoven would be wrong because there is PSV Eindhoven and Girls… but that’s about it… so I had a great time… I made a mental note that my daughter was never to come here… hahaha…

Shopping. Puma, Speed Cat, High Tops, Black and White, FIA, fire proof. How much? RESULT! No one back home will have these. It wasn’t until later that I thought about how I would get them home in their box… Um… I hadn’t really thought that through had I…?

22.00 I decide to check out the night life of Eindhoven. I found a street full of bars about two minutes walk from the hotel and right at the end of the street I found a biker bar which is so cool. Here is a brief description, spit and sawdust, road signs, eleven piece drum kit on top of a pool table, toilets visible to the public (REALLY!) condom machine on the wall in the bar, “V-Twin Harley Engine” modified to pour beer, a hand painted sign that reads, “spitting at the barmaid strictly prohibited, violators will be shot”… Does that paint a picture? Good. Now go there. Here is the name and address. Thunder Road House Café, Stratumiend 105-107, 5611, ER Eindhoven. Ask for Brad and drink called “Flugel”. Trust me I’m a doctor.
Thunder Road House Café
Let the duck out!


Saturday July 6th

08.00 Alarm clock welcomes me into the real world with a thump and while having breakfast I do the post card thing before I go and get them sent off.

11.00 Sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin… Here comes the science bit… Anyone not interested in football should look away now. While across the street at the post office getting the post cards sent off I bought a map of Eindhoven. I spy with my little eye something beginning with… PSV Eindhoven. FUCK! It was right around the corner from the hotel.

11.15 I leave, “In Search Of…” PSV Eindhoven.

11.25 I find PSV Eindhoven. Just how small is Eindhoven?

Now this is a little strange, even for me, but I swear this is true. As I walked along “18 September Plein” towards “Mathildelaan” and PSV I stumbled into a cockerel, a real live cockerel, doing what cockerels do best. He was one of those mad multi coloured ones that the French always seem to smuggle into the Parc de Princess whenever they are playing England at rugby and even stranger still manage to find their way onto the pitch if the French are winning…. It’s true and you know it.

And so, there I stood, in the middle of the street, at 11.20 on Saturday July 6th taking a photo of a mad multi coloured cockerel with the PSV stadium rising out of the back ground like some freshly landed spaceship.
There it is, for all the people who over the years have asked me, “Was there really a chicken?”

12.00 Once back at the hotel I grab my stuff and head for the bar (I think you might have noticed a running theme here…). We all meet up and I tell some of the guys about the bar I found last night while patiently listening to the other guys and their plans to steal those Heineken glasses.

13.00 We leave for the festival.

14.00 Arrive at the festival. WOW! It was sunny. That doesn’t happen at Donington… It’s true and you know it.

14.15 Enter the site. Get T-Shirts. What? No Bruce shirts? Oh well, let the silliness begin… I had already decided I wasn’t going to rush the barrier. I was going to do this festival properly. Check out all the bands, on all the stages, all the different foods, drinks, visit the stalls, meet up with old friends, find new ones, after all, isn’t that what it’s all about?

For the back see Part Two

By the time I had reached the Main Stage Area “Tristania” were in the middle of a quite a good set. I slowly made my way towards the sound desk. The “Tristania” set ended and I stood there watching the sound guys doing their stuff only to find that when I turned around the crowd had gone. So I calmly walked up to the barrier. I couldn’t believe it. This wouldn’t happen at Donington. Centre stage on the barrier 40 minutes before the Metal God… Chuffing Hell!

15.35 Rob Halford comes on stage and I suddenly realised that I had left Walsall some 40 hours and 400 miles earlier only watch someone from Walsall performing on a stage in a field in Belgium.

I love the way Rob simply strolls around the stage like it was his kitchen, then what starts with a simple guitar problem develops into a backline problem (mainly with the Bass I think) and then before I know it the whole set descends into a Spinal Tap type event. The gig grinds to a halt.

The band leaves the stage. Crew run all over the back of the stage like ants over a freshly dropped sticky sweet.

What seems like an eternity or two later the backline is back up and running. The band walks back on stage and I actually heard through the monitors Rob say, “There is a God… well a second God anyway…” I guess you had to be there but it was so funny.

“Cyberworld”, what a song to come back onto, only then to have the plug pulled on a blistering “Electric Eye”, which in a twisted way made it much more effective. Rob and the rest of the band shout their thanks and their apologies and then leave the stage. A very brutal end to a set.

17.20 Here comes Bruce, on stage and on time.
Spot the difference – win a prize… Chris the roadie and Chris the rock star


I will not go on about the set list because that’s boring and you have already read the set list on the internet anyway. I am going to try to paint pictures of the important things like, the smiles on their faces, the massive grins that they carried all over that stage, the obvious fun the band was having. Now please don’t get me wrong, all the other bands played good well delivered sets, but that’s exactly their failings, were they enjoying it? Personally I’m not sure, but this band looked like they were getting off on it me than us.

Bruce reminds me of one of those polar bears you find in old decaying concrete enclosures in those old eastern bloc countries. The way they pace up and down across their little piece of concrete stage performing for the masses who don’t care or realise that it is losing its mind, wants to escape, wants to break free, a poor little tortured soul that wants to be anywhere but there… (Hey… it’s just an observation).

Alex simply stands with his back to the amps, legs apart, so wanting to be in Status Quo, while doing his best not to look like David Cassidy (what do you mean, you’ve never noticed…).

Robin having known him for some time and knowing how much of a Maiden fan he is, I could at least guess as to how he was feeling. To be playing with Bruce and how much he was getting off on playing those Maiden songs (it was  good job they playing outside cause you wouldn’t have got a smile that big indoors).

Pete the conduit, the connection between Bruce, Alice Cooper and KISS, well, in a strange and twisted way. Anyway, have I seen him in Sack Trick? I can’t remember, but then, I’ve seen everyone else has been in Sack Trick. Am I the only one that thinks he looks good in black PVC trousers and shirt?

Chris gave me the biggest smile when he saw me. He really is starting to prowl the stage properly. During “Innerspace” we had massive eye contact as we both sang the opening lines and for all the obvious reasons it meant so much. 

All too soon it was over. How could 60 minutes pass so quickly? I hoped other bands were watching. This band has such a presence. More than most of the other bands combined. Was it the performance of the day? No. Because I don’t believe it was a “performance”, I believe I witnessed something very real and genuine. Something very visceral that you could easily reach out and touch. This was easily one of the best Bruce gigs that I’ve seen.

Was that really Dave Mustane on stage right down in the pit watching gig?

After the Bruce set I removed myself from the barrier and went off to explore. I spent the rest of the evening into the night simply wondering around, doing what I set out to do. Met old friends. Make new ones. I saw so many different bands, Tristania, Hypocrisy, Cannibal Corpse, Deviate, Biohazard, Immortal, Machine Head, Dream Theatre, and Slayer, some of those bands I wouldn’t normally bother with.

What was with those bicycles upon that fence? Did everyone cycle to the gig? That’s something else that wouldn’t happen at Donington either.
And yes, that really is one biker giving a piggy back to another biker… If I hadn’t seen it…


As a footnote to the day Halford stole the day. Simply because sometimes the best gigs are the gigs where it all goes tits up.

At the end of the day I went for a walk up to the village and I had a kebab… you can take the boy out of Walsall…

Pass guide for security

Sunday July 7th

00.00 Somewhere close to just after midnight we found our coach and were driven through the night back to Eindhoven. Some slept while the rest of us told tales of our adventures.

02.00 Back at the hotel around 8 of us decided to go to the biker bar I had discovered earlier. There was still 2 hours of drinking time. We walked briskly. We drank, talked, drank, danced and drank some more and isn’t it funny how 8 people can see the same gig and come away with 8 different opinions… We did our best in trying to drink the bar dry. Eventually it was throwing out time. We walked back to the hotel, well, I type “walk”, it’s a sad lookout for human kind and evolution if how we got back to our hotel could be called “walking”…

04.15 What happened next I don’t have time to put into words but, to the people who were in the corridor, “Hello”, to the people we woke up, “Sorry”, to the hotel security, “It wasn’t me”, and to Argon Events, we are VERY sorry, but it was so funny…

08.00 Oh the joy of an alarm clock… oooooohhhhhhh my fucking head… I curse the name Bacchus as I pack my ruck sack… A liquid breakfast of orange juice and paracetamol and while still cursing the name of Bacchus I head off to the bar to meet up with everyone else and to have beer and set about stealing one of those Heineken glasses and to find out why the hotel staff were treating us in a such negative fashion…

We did what…? When…? It wasn’t me… I wasn’t there… FLASHBACK! Oh my fucking God… Hiding under the bed you say? Really? That is funny… I put my Heineken glass back.

We checkout and while at the reception desk I said to the most beautiful girl I have ever seen in my entire life, “Which way to England?”, she just looked at me with this really cute sly smile, a glint in her eye and said “Go west young man”, as she pointed out the door… I was going to rush off for a wafty crank but I’d already rushed off… I asked for a tissue and quietly walked away…

10.30 We leave the hotel and head off to pick up the campers. All the telegraph poles are concerete over here and quite pretty they are too, as far as concerete telegraph poles go.

10.55 There is that sign again, except this time it reads “Belgique”. Now I understand that but how does “Holland” become “Netherlands”? Answers on a post card to me…

11.10 We arrive at the camp site. Bloody Hell fire. I could not believe my eyes. You know how in England girls who are into Death Metal, Hardcore, extreme stuff like that tend to mad ugly old bats that shouldn’t be allowed out… even in the dark… It’s true and you know it.  Well not over here they’re not, the girls over here are stunning.

13.30 I don’t remember falling asleep, only waking up somewhere inside Belgium, only to see a fighter jet going through its display routine. I have no idea what the air base was but I did see a road sign that read “Dunkerque 25km” so that narrows it down a bit. As for the aircraft it looked like a “Hawk”. Do the Belgian Air Force have them? Could it have been an “Alpha Jet”? To be honest it was too far away and we were moving. For about 5 to 10 minutes I watched as the jet ripped up the sky in the same way a child does with their toy plane. Great stuff.                                                                                                       

13.40 There’s another one of those signs except this one reads “France”. Why didn’t it read “Francis”?

Dunkerque… Um…

14.10 Calais and we do what everyone else does when they leave France for England and that’s top up on duty frees and cheap fuel. We make our way to the ferry. What, no passport checks? BASTARDS! Typical of the French to perform such an under handed trick.

Have you ever seen the film “Mary Poppins”? Well, you know that bit where they are having the Tea Party on the ceiling and Mary Poppins says to Uncle Albert, “It’s time to go home now”, and Uncle Albert says, “Oh, that’s sad”, and they all start coming down to earth? Well that’s what the coach party started to feel like and by the time we got on the ferry people just drifted off to do their own thing, myself included. A few of us did get together in the bar but the vibe was changing and we all knew it.

16.45 Dover, England. We all roll off the ferry and head up and over those white cliffs.

18.00 I woke as we approached the outskirts of London. Road works, traffic jams, diverted traffic… etc… it’s so good to be back.

18.50 What a place to cross The Thames, Westminster Bridge, what a skyline and doesn’t it just piss all over Manhattan… It’s true and you know it.

18.55 Victoria Coach Station and the first of the drop off points. The coach is almost silent. No one speaks. Good byes are whispered. Plans made. London sights wait for our next visit. The M1 winds north. Walsall here we come. The sky grows dark.

21.25 Dropped off, Wolverhampton Road, opposite The Orange Tree pub which is about 2 miles from where Rob Halford grew up as a kid.

21.50 Home. Everything goes into the washing machine. In 9 hours I’ll be up and having to re-pack. I live in Walsall but I work in Ellesmere Port, so I’ve got another week in a 3 star hotel with free food and drink. It’s a hard life isn’t it…


The End of Part One.

To Be Continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment